It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SPOILERS: ME3 Endings
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:23 pm 

You've been warned! HUGE spoilers are present!

Right, as I was saying on the shoutbox, a lot of people, me included, see the final sequence after being hit by Harbinger's laser as an indoctrinated hallucination that tests Shepard's final resolve. Remember, this wouldn't be the first time Shepard has drifted into nightmare scenarios of this nature.

We have 3 endings.

1) Control
2) Synthesis
3) Destroy

Endings 1 and 2 outright kill Shepard and let the Reapers live. Option 1 is a fool's choice simply because the Reapers are far stronger than Shepard ever will be - just look at what happened to the Illusive Man to see that. Once Shepard is dead he no longer has control anyway, giving the Reapers a chance to return and finish the job. Option 2 is a glossy rendition of the Reaper's ultimate objective: the synthesis of organic and synthetic life. You saw what happened with the Reapers merged with Geth. This ending enables the Reapers to again, control.

Ending 3 is the killer, and as I see it, the most important. The Catalyst tries to pass this off as the worst choice, stating that it will destroy the Geth and EDI, and it also mentions that Shepard is partially synthetic (because of the Lazarus project's cybernetics). Naturally, the Catalyst doesn't want you to pick this option as it destroys the Reapers and most likely itself (notice how it constantly uses "we" to refer to itself and the Reapers).

So what happens if you pick this? All plays out as expected, the Reapers fall (presumably along with all other synthetics). The twist is the final part. If you had enough military strength, the final scene shows a heavily damaged armour chest-plate with N7 dogtags. The plate moves and Shepard hastily draws breath, as if waking from another nightmare. We know this is Shepard as the plate's shape is different depending on your Shepard's gender. Furthermore, the body is surrounded by broken concrete. I didn't see any concrete on the Citadel, did you? Now where did have concrete rubble everywhere? London. It is impossible that Shepard is on the Citadel still as it was almost totally destroyed and Shepard wasn't wearing a helmet or anything for that matter to enable even the slightest part of his/her body to survive re-entry.

Only ending 3 continues the entire story's theme of destroying the Reapers. The other choices all mean submission, and in the face of the main plot, defeat.

That is the gist of the theory and there is a helluva a lot to suggest it is correct but I'm not going to list it for time's sake.

Note:

I achieved this ending with 6900 effective military strength (I had 100% readiness). I believe it is possible to get it at the 5000 marker.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:10 pm 

I don't want to play this game, but I'm interested in knowing what happened to the Illusive Man. and the whole deal with the Prothean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:21 pm 

The Illusive Man was shot either by Shepard or by his own hand depending on how you've spoken to him over the course of the game. I persuaded him to kill himself. His ultimate goal was controlling the Reapers. Ultimately, in his quest to do so, he himself was indoctrinated. Cerberus managed to create Husks without the use of dragon's teeth and also implanted Reaper technology into their soldiers, and eventually the Illusive Man himself. Cerberus actually had mild success in controlling their own Husks. The idea was they could use the same principle on a much grander scale to control the Reapers themselves.

The Prothean is not quite as important as you would think. Scientists on Eden Prime managed to find an active stasis pod containing a Prothean. Cerberus learned about this and captured the dig site and the pod. As you are finding out how to open the pod, you learn that the Protheans planned to put 1,000,000 of their people in stasis until the cycle was complete. In an element of foreshadowing, sleeper agents betrayed the Protheans causing the facility to be attacked. Most of the pods were deactivated as a result of this. 1 soldier who stayed behind to defend the facility managed to get into a stasis pod (only the ones that were activated were destroyed). This pod managed to stay active, unlike those on Ilos, because there was only a single active pod. Other than that, there isn't much to tell except that he becomes a squad member and you learn that the Protheans were actually a bunch of imperial morons that enslaved other species.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:35 pm 

nice, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:56 pm 

I found this summary on the BioWare forums of the theory:

Quote:
1. The endgame scenario is Indoctrination/Manipulation from the Reapers (Harbinger) trying to force you into choosing to let the Reapers live. Shepard is not awake during the final sceens!

2. Choosing to control the Reapers allows them to live. Reapers win. They will still exist.

3. Choosing to combine organic and synthetic life: Reapers win. They will still exist.

4. Choosing to destroy all synthetic life: Reapers loose. Shepard lives. Reapers die.

5. Choosing to destroy all synthetic life option is more Renegade in appearence. Controlling the Reapers is more Paragon in appearence. The Illusive Man's choice should not be Paragon colors, just as Anderson's choice should not be Renegade.

6. Shepard awakes at the end of destroying Reapers. But Shepard is not awaking from the aftermath. He is awaking from either after he is hit by Harbingers lazer attack on Earth or after the scene with Anderson and the Illusive Man.

7. Stating that all sythetic life will be destroyed will give you pause; destroying the Geth can force you to a different conclusion. This choice exists for the illusion of choice; the other choices are ment to sound better.

8. Shepard does not awake in the other 2 "endings" because you are fully indoctrinated by the choices you made to allow the Reapers to win. "Assuming Control!"

9. Never trust any child construct, be it a ghost or artificial intelligence, or heck even human. They are just creepy.

10. Shepard awakes at the end because he has broken hold of the Reaper's control.

11. Shepard has spent alot of time around Reapers. Soveriegn, various Reaper artifacts, the Human Reaper, 2 Reaper destroyers, the Artifact from "The Arrival." Its foolish to assume there is not some level of indoctrination.

12. Bioware not only get more $$$ for DLC for the final battle, but big props for INDOCTRINATING A LOT OF ITS OWN PLAYERS! I do not know of another gaming company that has tried to fool all of its consumers, but they look to be the first and reap all of the attention.

13. Look at these screenshots. I believe the 1m1 is a clue, because of how often it shows up, and how human it is, when the ship is supposedly older then the ancients.

14. Definitions:

Catalyst =1. Chemistry A substance, usually
used in small amounts relative to the reactants, that modifies and
increases the rate of a reaction without being consumed in the process.2. One that precipitates a process or event, especially without being involved in or changed by the consequences[/color][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)]
Addition information compiled from community and written by:

Crucible=
1. A vessel made of a refractory substance
such as graphite or porcelain, used for melting and calcining materials
at high temperatures.2. A severe test, as of patience or belief; a trial. See Synonyms at trial.3. A place, time, or situation characterized by the confluence of powerful intellectual, social, economic, or political forces:

Kitten Tactics:

-The endgame scenario is Indoctrination/Manipulation from the Reapers
(Harbinger) trying to force you into choosing to let the Reapers live.
Shepard is not awake during the final scenes.

-Choosing Control - You can not control them, they control you. Shepard says as much to the Illusive Man moments earlier.

-Choosing
Synthesis - Allows everyone in the galaxy to be manipulated by Reaper
code, like they have done to the Geth multiple times now.

-Choosing Destroy - Breaks the hold the reapers have on Shepard's mind.

-Choosing
to destroy all synthetic life option is more Renegade in appearence.
Controlling the Reapers is more Paragon in appearence. The Illusive
Man's choice should not be Paragon colors, just as Anderson's choice
should not be Renegade. The reapers are saying that Destroy is the
worst, Control is worse, and Synthesis is the best. They want you to
fail.

-Stating that all sythetic life will be destroyed will
give you pause; destroying the Geth can force you to a different
conclusion. This choice exists for the illusion of choice; the other
choices are ment to sound better.

-Shepard wakes up after
Destroy, because the Reaper's hold is diminished. Shepard does not
awake in the other 2 "endings" because you are fully indoctrinated by
the choices you made to allow the Reapers to win. "Assuming Control!"

-The
child does not actually exist. He is an attempt to indoctrinate
Shepard. Nobody but Shepard ever sees or interacts with the child.

-When
Anderson calls for Shepard at the beginning of the game, when Shepard
is talking to the child, Shepard turns back and the child is gone.
Shepard has been "snapped out of it".

-When Shepard turns towards
Anderson after being "snapped out of it", a growl is heard. In the
third novel, when Greyson resisted the reapers they would make a
growling noise once they realized they didn't have him under complete
control.

-During Shepard's final dream with the child, chatter
can be heard over the radio about nobody making it to the beam. Shepard
is still in London.

-When Shepard catches the child in the final
dream, they are both engulfed in flame. Going with the child (the
reapers) means Shepard's destruction.

-Shepard has spent alot of
time around Reapers. Soveriegn, various Reaper artifacts, the Human
Reaper, 2 Reaper destroyers, the Artifact from "The Arrival." Its
foolish to assume there is not some level of indoctrination.

-When Shepard wakes up at the end of Destroy, he/she is waking up in London, after being hit with the laser.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:04 pm 

Alright so I had only about 3,5k war assets and chose to destroy the reapers (manly because liara and garrus were dead so I said fuck it and killed everyone). But after all the big explosions, all I see is the normandy on a jungle planet and the door opening (but the credits start before you can see anything) I never got a scene where you see shepard again, only the one with the granpa which makes it really weird, considering the explained in detail to the young boy how I fucked liara...
So can I assume that my shepard died?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:22 pm 

Wait a minute...

Quote:
considering the explained in detail to the young boy how I fucked liara...

Nobody that I am aware of has got that ending, and the door always opens. I think your "acquired" copy may be FUBAR or tampered with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:41 pm 

I skipped the credits. maybe thats why.
But the grandpa ending is standard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:21 pm 

It is only standard if you import an ME2 save or play ME3 again, and he honestly never mentions anything about your LI at all, or anything about Shepard directly. Only the child does this by referring to "The Shepard".

Nobody steps out of the Normandy if you didn't have enough war assets, or so I'm told.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 pm 

I didn't import anything and played it only once. I know that liara and garrus are dead because I saw their corpses when tumbling to the beam.
Why would it make a difference for the normandy crew how many war assets I farmed... makes no sense biofuck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 pm 

I had no corpses of squad members anywhere at all. Again, that depends on your war assets.

Your war assets are a measure of how well you've done in completing the game's main objectives. It's just a way of saying that you haven't played well enough. How else would they show it considering there is no "epic-failure" ending?

Also, have you been spending too long on 4chan?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:38 pm 

Actually the war assets are a measure of how much time you spent searching every solar system.
What I heard is that you squadmates always die when charging the light but I might be wrong.
Though it makes no difference anyway since I blew everything to pieces.
And yes, 4chan is always open when I'm browsing... so I guess that's a lot. How did you guess?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:55 pm 

That is the point. If you bother to go and grab everything and manage to cure the genophage and broker a peace between the Quarians and the Geth, you'll be rewarded by having your squad seemingly survive, and in some cases (depending if you brought your LI with you etc) they step off of the Normandy.

The destroy ending will only destroy synthetic life if you do well enough and reach the required war assets. If you do not, then the Earth gets incinerated along with everything on it.

The 4chan link is evident in what and more importantly how you are saying things. Like a doctor diagnoses disease, I diagnosed 4chan in you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:31 pm 

Who's got ME3 Legally?

maybe setting up a N7 squad would be fun, when i have bought it

I found the endings rather, mwuah not bad not exceptionable good either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:12 pm 

I do. I play the MP quite often. I'm currently playing (and hopefully getting better at) silver with the hope of advancing onto gold.

Joker's banter is fantastic this time, lol!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:43 pm 

Hmm, i might buy ME3, i like it and i want the full exprience
Thinking about Krogan MP, i love korgan.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:50 pm 

Yeah, the same way that a Banshee loves hugging charging Krogan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm 

no one huggs a Krogan, I'll end there life with nuclear fire!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 pm 

It usually ends up with the Krogan dangling off a huge claw. Just sayin'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 am 

Hahaha point noted