It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mission making
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:31 am 

I want to help out making missions - I have tentatively started doing this. I'm keen to crack on. I know triggers/syncing/waypoints/checking youtube for tutorials etc. I note that Plores, Jack, Keeno & Crap have all kindly added their recommendations. This is however starting to complicate/confuse matters as everyone has their own ideas about what scripts to use/not use etc.

I know that it takes time and research to become adept in mission making and that a lot of trial and error is involved. If, however, we had a standard, agreed on format/framework which can be locked on the main forum page, I'm sure it would encourage more people to attempt mission making if they know that the correct building blocks are being used from the start.

Post subject: Re: Mission making
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:47 am 

I'll be honest dream, its all up in the air atm. Scripts seem to be the way to go, I have never used them but the benefits are there to see. For example when i load one of my missions on the test server I normally get around 18/20 server fps at mission start, however I looked at plores latest mission made using a fair few scripts, server fps was at 40+. So unless we start using something like the alive mod I think we should all start using at least some scripts in our missions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:59 am 

My concerns as a relative newcomer to mission making are the differing opinions on which scripts to use. I know everyone is being helpful which is good to see but trying to take in everybody's slightly different view on this topic I think could possibly put some people off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 am 

the thing here dream is that it all depends on what you want to add the mission.

for instance, do you want to make a plane spawn in and drop some bombs? well, the problem can be solved in many ways. you can solve it by making markers and trigger plus a few lines of codes. But then, you maybe don't want to have the plane circling mindlessly until its its turn to drop the bombs. then maybe a spawn script, could do it, but then...which script? its up to you as the mission maker to create the design challenges and then find a way to solve them in the editor.

What you need to think about is the following:

a script that deletes dead units...that is already a standard one that we use and works fine. so don't crack your head reinventing the wheel. use that one.

The revive script is also already in place (although buggy) so use that one, don't look for a new one.

A script for changing viewdistance. well we already have one that we use, cause its handy and user friendly.

In othewords, make a mission, come up with a problem and then think,: ok how do I solve this?....then give it a try with different approaches.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 am 

Common misconception #1: You need to use scripts.

There's no need to use any scripts (apart from init.sqf and briefing.sqf) if you design your mission well. Your first couple of missions are better off being plain and simple, and honestly? The plain and simply executed ones are often the best.

Overcomplications and dreams of Hollywood are the biggest killer of good missions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:55 am 

I've made missions in the past when I've played with my neighbour. The possibilities are endless. I think the key is to start simple and build it up if needed. My point was jumping from knowing the basics to all of a sudden needing scripts - which ones?, look at a plethora of tutorials - will arma 2 init field inputs work in arma 3? etc etc. It can be a bit daunting. Just go for it and get it tested. Won't know until I try!!.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:46 pm 

John is right don't use scripts to start with. Learn how to do a basic mission in the Editor. Learn waypoints, triggers, tasks and briefings. Don't overload the map with so or objectives and all will be fine.

Then after the or for missions you may want to script in the spawning of units or to do elaborate objectives. The more complexity and objective conditions the harder it is to get stability.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:12 pm 

we don't play small missions. we only play ops on Sundays, and a Sunday op is usually expected to take an hour or more to complete. you can't make an hour long mission only in the editor, because you have constraints in the form of AI numbers, objects etc.

so, yeah, spend some time to learn the basics of the editor (triggers and waypoints, how description.ext works), but start looking into scripting as soon as possible, because you just can't make a mission for our numbers without multiple objectives, since Arma's editor is very limited, without using modules (that are broken anyway)